Bob’s Commencement Address 2006

By: Bob Parks

I’d like to thank this fine institution for the opportunity to speak to the Class of 2006. I’m sure you’ve had your fill of lectures, but in the fine tradition of academia, you’ll have to endure one more before we push you out the door into the real world.

I say “real world” for a reason. And with that, my comments today will center on what I consider a profound quote.

Although he is a prominent American economist, political writer, commentator, and a senior fellow at Stanford’s Hoover Institute, many of your professors probably have never shared with you any of Thomas Sowell’s writings because he’s a black conservative.

My favorite of Dr. Sowell’s musings is this: “The most fundamental fact about the ideas of the political left is that they do not work. Therefore we should not be surprised to find the left concentrated in institutions where ideas do not have to work in order to survive.”

It so happens that Thomas Sowell was talking about the very place you’re sitting now. He’s talking about some of your teachers, and we’re both challenging the value of some of what you’ve been taught. As you’re now receiving your diplomas, it’s obvious that what I’m about to tell you is kind of after the fact.

Unfortunately, timing is everything.

Some of the people I hang with consider some elements of liberalism, the philosophy you’ve received a healthy dose of these last few years, to be socialism. To back this up, let me read to you some of the current communist goals as written in “The Naked Communist,” by Cleon Skousen..

“U.S. willingness to capitulate in preference to engaging in war.”

Some of us Neocons have called liberals the ones you can count on to cut and run in the face of aggression. Apparently, it’s in the playbook.

You should note that in almost all discussions in class, you were probably told that America was the bad guy. We were doing this, and we were doing that. However, how many times do you remember your professor saying anything bad about those who behead those they kidnap or leave bombs on roadsides that kill hundreds of civilians a month? I don’t hear that side much from the left.

This is not a coincidence.

“Develop the illusion that total disarmament by the United States would be a demonstration of moral strength.”

The problem is there’s no guarantee that the other side would play by those same rules of virtue. And when it comes to an enemy with nukes, you don’t have the luxury of a second chance.

“Permit free trade between all nations regardless of Communist affiliation and regardless of whether or not items could be used for war.”

Well, that doesn’t sound right, does it? Thus far, it would seem that communist doctrine always seems to put America at the disadvantage. By the way, how much of this sounds like what you’ve heard in class?

It gets better..

“Promote the UN as the only hope for mankind. If its charter is rewritten, demand that it be set up as a one-world government with its own independent armed forces.”

Now I know you’ve all heard this before. I get into email arguments all the time with people who believe that the United Nations is the end all-be all, and that we should all hold hands, sing, and become a “world nation”.

One problem: the United Nations currently has a long and lousy record when it comes to conflict resolution. In fact, they are a body that can be bought, à la Oil for Food scandal. They cover up numerous internal crimes worldwide, such as child rape and pornography in African countries where they are charged with keeping the peace.

I’m sure your professor told you about that, right?

“Do away with all loyalty oaths.”

We’re already well on our way with this one. We have an atheist taking every opportunity to knock our Pledge of Allegiance out of schools and the public arena in general. Obviously, since the United States is such an evil society, why would anyone pledge loyalty here?

Another thing: as evil as the United States is in comparison to a “Motherland”, I’d like to see what would happen to one of those activists who says all those nasty things about America, should they go and try and criticize one of those countries that are so better than ours on their soil?

Funny, I don’t see many on the American left try that one. That would take an element of what we loosely refer to as “courage”.

“Capture one or both of the political parties in the United States.”

One down..

“Use technical decisions of the courts to weaken basic American institutions by claiming their activities violate civil rights. ”

Just read any of the cases the American Civil Liberties Union gets involved with. It almost always involves some issue that is seldom in the best interest of America and her citizens, as a whole.

Ask anyone whom they have sued. You’ll meet one someday.

Okay, let’s get to familiar territory..

“Get control of the schools. Use them as transmission belts for socialism and current Communist propaganda. Soften the curriculum. Get control of teachers’ associations. Put the party line in textbooks.”

Believe it or not, people. You’ve been fed a big dose of socialist propaganda.

Think about it. On one note, you’re told that your campus is a place than encourages the free expression of ideas. Sounds nice, if it were true.

Yet you’ve been encouraged by your teachers to shout down those with whom you disagree. You can recite. Yeah, like that’s mature..

You’ve been taught to be tolerant of other people and ideas, yet some of you have not been discouraged from acting like spoiled children. I’m talking to those of you who’ve stood and turned your backs on me here today in “silent protest”. Man, do I wish I had a bucket of tomatoes..

If my arguments were so abhorrent, you’d think your professor would want you to hear me, just to prove their point.

Could it be that logic and rational thought is Kryptonite to the liberal ideal, thus a threat to their authority over a bunch of starry-eyed, impressionable, naïve post-teens? I guess they’d think it truly a shame if because of ideology, those crusty old professors weren’t all that anymore, thus couldn’t get young things into bed.

“Gain control of all student newspapers.”

Student publications can publish the name and picture of a young man they consider a rapist without due process, thus tarnishing his reputation forever on campus. But you can’t criticize anyone the leftists consider their sacred cows without being accused of using the ever evolving “hate speech”:

Conservative newspapers can be stolen and/or destroyed. That’s considered “free speech”. But that’s not they only way you were used..

“Use student riots to foment public protests against programs or organizations which are under Communist attack.”

How many times do you see students arrested in mass protests? Where are the teachers? Usually nowhere to be found. But then again, they called themselves “conscientious objectors” during wartime. In other words, they are pussies who’ll put kids, you, at risk just so they can feel relevant.

Sad, but there’s more.

“Continue discrediting American culture by degrading all forms of artistic expression. An American Communist cell was told to ‘eliminate all good sculpture from parks and buildings, substitute shapeless, awkward and meaningless forms.’”

I went to art college in Boston. I always found it amazing that I could get a can of paint, throw its contents at a canvas, and have some professors intellectualize what is simply an accident. Watching them talk about emotions and skill of an artist whose work consisted of toilets glued together always left me respecting them less and less.

Art, real art, takes talent that can’t be bought at an art school. Just because it’s in a museum today, doesn’t make it art. But then again, all it takes to get a piece into a museum today is nail two obscure items together and paint “Bushshit” on it.

“Eliminate all laws governing obscenity by calling them “censorship” and a violation of free speech and free press.”

If you get a chance, go to the North American Man/Boy Love Association. I’m sure in the interest of tolerance, many of you publicly see no problems with grown men doing little boys. But within, that has got to gross you out. The ACLU represented NAMBLA despite a brutal murder, and claimed they don’t “advocate sexual relationships between adults and children. What the ACLU does advocate is robust freedom of speech for everyone.”

Sorry, lame argument. Man/boy oral sex and sodomy isn’t free speech. Luckily, the ACLU lost that one.

“Present homosexuality, degeneracy and promiscuity as ‘normal, natural, healthy.’”

I’m 99% sure my supervisor in the Navy was gay. He was also the most squared away sailor I met during my time in. I learned a lot from him, and our division won many Navy-wide awards due to his leadership and example.

However, he never told me what his sexual preference was. We had a job to do and that was it.

Tell you what: during the first two weeks at your first job, go around telling people who you prefer to be in bed with. See how long you last. Maybe one reason some are so put off by gays is because they keep shoving their sexuality in everyone’s face. Just do your job.

I was once a Boy Scout. It was all about leadership skills, teamwork, and camaraderie. There was no mention of anyone’s sexuality. Why the sexual orientation of a scout or a scoutmaster needs to be so out in the open is beyond me, except for the fact that there are agendas in play.

Finally, and there were many more to choose from.

“Emphasize the need to raise children away from the negative influence of parents. Attribute prejudices, mental blocks and retarding of children to suppressive influence of parents.”

The “suppressive influence of parents”….

You know, us stupid “oldheads” who clothed, bathed, housed, and fed you from birth. We, who stayed up all night with you when you were sick, took you to school every day, gave you what you wanted for almost every birthday and Christmas your whole life. We unconditionally went into debt to help you get your first car, apartment, college tuition, yet should you do anything wrong, just blame it on bad parenting.

If we weren’t in this esteemed setting, I’d use the f-word right now.

Some of these liberals you call professors consider themselves your mom and dad, as they’ve done everything they could to reshape you into, in some cases, people who are now unrecognizable to your birth parents. That is a shame.

So in a few minutes or so, you will be considered independent. You are now what we loosely refer to as “adults”. You will find that things in the real world are very much different than this isolated little fiefdom you call a campus. You will be held responsible for your actions. You will have bills. You can be sued if you don’t pay them.

Remember that the rules do apply to you and you’d better choose your right to protest well.

I guess this was kind of a downer, but so are those still with their backs to me.

Good luck and congratulations.

Bob Parks is a member/writer for the National Advisory Council of Project 21, and is a Staff Writer for the New Media Alliance, Inc.

No Comments

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.