Eureka! Democrat with Reasonable Stance on Illegal Immigration Found
By: John Lillpop
Most liberals regard illegal aliens as â€œUndocumented Democratsâ€ and a veritable gold mine of opportunity for holding on to political power by coddling to those here unlawfully.
For that reason, most Democrat politicians have abandoned reasonable concern about homeland security, preservation of American language and culture, and the stability of the American economy and social order in order to curry favor with Hispanics, the ethnic group with the greatest number of illegal aliens in the United States.
One can search high and low to unearth a liberal with a patriotic, pro-America stance on illegal immigration. That search will usually be futile, but there is a notable exception.
The exception is an U.S. Senator who has shown remarkable wisdom, foresight, and clarity, especially for a Democrat. His office released the following statements (in bold) concerning illegal immigration:
â€œIn response to increased terrorism and abuse of social programs by aliens, (I) today introduced the first and only comprehensive immigration reform bill in Congress. Currently, an alien living illegally in the United States often pays no taxes but receives unemployment, welfare, free medical care, and other federal benefits. Recent terrorist acts, including the World Trade Center bombing, have underscored the need to keep violent criminals out of the country.â€
The senatorâ€™s bill, titled the â€œImmigration Stabilization Act,â€ overhauls the nation’s immigration laws, and calls for a massive scale-down of immigrants allowed into the country. The bill also changes asylum laws to prevent phony asylum seekers.
The Senator said the U.S. open door policy is being abused at the expense of honest, working citizens.
The senator continued:
“We are a country founded upon fairness and justice. An individual in real threat of torture or long-term incarceration because of his or her political beliefs can still seek asylum. But this bill closes the door to those who want to abuse America’s inherent generosity and legal system.â€
“Our borders have overflowed with illegal immigrants placing tremendous burdens on our criminal justice system, schools and social programs. The Immigration and Naturalization Service needs the ability to step up enforcement. Our federal wallet is stretched to the limit by illegal aliens getting welfare, food stamps, medical care, and other benefits often without paying any taxes.â€
â€œSafeguards like welfare and free medical care are in place to boost Americans in need of short-term assistance. These programs were not meant to entice freeloaders and scam artists from around the world. Even worse, Americans have seen heinous crimes committed by individuals who are here illegally.â€
Specific provisions proposed by the senator in the Immigration Stabilization Act include:
* Reduces annual legal immigration levels. Relatives other than spouse or minor children admitted only if already on immigration waiting lists and their admission does not raise annual immigration levels above approved level.
* Reforms asylum rules to prevent aliens from entering the United States illegally under phony “asylum” claims.
* Expands list of felonies considered “aggravated” felonies requiring exclusion and deportation of criminal aliens. Allows courts to order deportation at time of sentencing.
* Increases penalties for failing to depart or re-entering the United States after a final order of deportation order. Increases maximum penalties for visa fraud from five years to 10 years.
* Curtails alien smuggling by authorizing interdiction and repatriation of aliens seeking to enter the United States unlawfully by sea. Increases penalties for alien smuggling.
* Adds “alien smuggling” to the list of crimes subject to sanctions under the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations (RICO) Act.
* Expands the categories of property that are forfeited when used to facilitate the smuggling or harboring of illegal aliens.
* Clarifies that a person born in the United States to an alien mother who is not a lawful resident is not a U.S. citizen. This will eliminate incentive for pregnant alien women to enter the United States illegally, often at risk to mother and child, for the purpose of acquiring citizenship for the child and accompanying federal financial benefits.
* Mandates that aliens who cannot demonstrably support themselves without public or private assistance are excludable. This will prevent admission of aliens likely to be dependent on public financial support. This requirement extends to the sponsor of any family sponsored immigrant.
* Increases border security and patrol officer positions.
So, you ask, what sort of a Democrat would take such a politically incorrect–
but morally and legally correctâ€”stance?
Perhaps the Democrat with a brain is Zell Miller from the great state of
Georgia? Or could it be a reincarnation of Alabamaâ€™s late firebrand, George
The answer is: None of the above!
In fact, Senator Harry Reid (D-Nev.) introduced the Immigration Stabilization Act in the United States Senate in 1993. The statements quoted above are from a press release issued by Reidâ€™s office on August 5, 1993.
How is that Harry Reid was exactly right more than thirteen years ago, but is so completely wrong now? Why would Reid oppose programs he once sponsored now that the problem is seven times greater in scope and after the 9/11 attacks?
Just this past spring, while the U.S. Senate was debating legislation to make English the official U.S. language, Reid saw fit to drag out the R wordâ€”racistâ€”to slander those supported the English bill.
And, of course, Reid voted for Mexico and against America when the U.S. Senate voted for amnesty on May 25 of this year.
Harry Reid: Against illegal immigration before he was for it! Why?