8 Thanksgiving Quotes to Celebrate a Great Nation
By: Guest Authors
By: Noel Jameson
Thanksgiving is literally right around the corner and it’s time for some Thanksgiving quotes. With all of the controversy and turmoil surrounding our country today, it’s easy to forget where we came from, what we stand for and why the pilgrims celebrated amidst a life of strife and hardship. Here are eight Thanksgiving quotes to help remind us just how good we have it.
1. “There is one day that is ours. Thanksgiving Day is the one day that is purely American.” ~ O. Henry
2. “Thanksgiving comes to us out of the prehistoric dimness, universal to all ages and all faiths. At whatever straws we must grasp, there is always a time for gratitude and new beginnings.” ~ J. Robert Moskin
3. “Let us remember that, as much has been given us, much will be expected from us, and that true homage comes from the heart as well as from the lips, and shows itself in deeds.” ~ Theodore Roosevelt
4. “The Pilgrims made seven times more graves than huts. No Americans have been more impoverished than these who, nevertheless, set aside a day of thanksgiving.” ~ H. U. Westermayer
5. “Heap high the board with plenteous cheer and gather to the feast, And toast the sturdy Pilgrim band whose courage never ceased.” ~ Alice W. Brotherton
6. “Remember God’s bounty in the year. String the pearls of His favor. Hide the dark parts, except so far as they are breaking out in light! Give this one day to thanks, to joy, to gratitude!” ~ Henry Ward Beecher
7. “Our rural ancestors, with little blest, patient of labour when the end was rest, indulged the day that housed their annual grain, with feasts, and off’rings, and a thankful strain.” ~Alexander Pope
8. “That all the People may with united Hearts on that day express a just sense of His unmerited favors, particularly in that it hath pleased Him, by His over ruling providence to support us in a just and necessary war for the defense of our rights and liberties; by defeating the councils and evil designs of our enemies, and giving us victory over their troops and by the continuance of that union among these States, which by His blessing, will be their future strength and glory.” ~ Samuel Adams
So there you have it. Eight Thanksgiving quotes to remind us not to focus on what we don’t have, but to be grateful for what we do have. This Thanksgiving, remind those around you of how special this holiday really is and share these inspiring Thanksgiving quotes.
For more holiday quotes, check out Famous-Quotes-And-Quotations.com, a website that specializes in ‘Top 10′ lists of quotations in dozens of categories. http://www.famous-quotes-and-quotations.com