The Rogue Rat of Fukushima!

By: Guest Authors

By: Michael Haltman

A rat so large due to the effects of radiation exposure that it  singlehandedly took down the cooling system in the crippled nuclear complex  exposing 8,800 nuclear fuel rods!

The reality is that a crisis  caused by a giant mutated rat has not yet occurred, although the scenario of  mutated animals is certainly on the table for some time in the future.

No, in this case a potential nuclear crisis could have been caused by a basic  rat simply getting into a control panel and eating through wires.

Is it  a serious failing of security, do you suppose, that an animal loose in the  reactor could have caused a situation that could potentially have led to renewed  fear of a meltdown?

I suppose that it is but you wouldn’t know by the  lack of any news generated regarding the animal event.

Simply speaking,  the nuclear disaster at Fukushima that was caused by an earthquake and  subsequent tsunami is no longer the story du jour for ‘journalists’ after having  been replaced by ‘news’ items like Kim Kardashian’s pregnancy and a series of  other critical stories similar to that.

That, however, does not mean  that the all clear has been sounded or that the nuclear crisis in Japan is no  longer creating havoc for that country or for the rest of the world (‘Fukushima  Update!‘, October 31, 2012).

It simply means that the limited  attention span of people has reached its course. That said, here is the story  about the ‘Rogue Rat of Fukushima!’

…The operator of the crippled  Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant said Wednesday that it had found what it  believed was the cause of an extended blackout that disabled vital cooling  systems this week: the charred body of a rat.

The operator, Tokyo  Electric Power Company, said that when its engineers looked inside a faulty  switchboard, they found burn marks and the rodent’s scorched body. The company  said it appeared that the rat had somehow short-circuited the switchboard,  possibly by gnawing on cables.

The company, known as Tepco, has blamed  problems with the switchboard for the power failure that began Monday, cutting  off the flow of cooling water to four pools used to store more than 8,800  nuclear fuel rods. It took Tepco almost a day to restore cooling to the first of  the affected pools, with cooling of the final pool resuming early  Wednesday…” Read the rest of the article at The  New York Times here.

H/T Legitimate Government

No Comments

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.