Founding Era History Test
By: J.J. Jackson
Things Students Should Know
(Founding Era History)
Originally created 1996
A test you should be able to pass if you have really been taught American History
Take the following test and grade yourself. This test is closed book so do not go browsing the internet for the answers. Sorry, no multiple guess questions here. Of course you can cheat if you want to but what would that prove?
Please note: Because of the popularity of this test there is a SECOND test in the works! We will update this page when that second test is ready!
1. There were _______ original colonies in America.
2. Name 6 of them. (each answer is worth 1 point for a total possible of 6 points)
3. These colonies were under the political control of _______ prior to their independence.
4. The Declaration of Independence was signed on ______.
5. The United States Constitution was signed on _______.
6. Prior to the United States Constitution, the document unifying the United States was ______.
7. There are ______ Articles of the United States Constitution.
8. There are ______ Amendments to the Constitution.
9. The first 10 Amendments to the Constitution are known as ______________.
10. There are 3 branches of the federal government which are _______, _______, and ______. (each correct answer is worth 1 point for a total of 3 points)
11. Which branch of government is granted the power to make law?
12. The phrase “separation of church and state” appears in what section of the Constitution?
13. Who retains all rights not granted specifically to the government of the United States?
14. The United States Constitution guarantees the right to Happiness. (T/F)
15. The United States is what form of government?
16. The “right of the people to keep and bear arms” is granted in what section of the Constitution?
17. Name 5 of the signers of the Declaration of Independence. (each correct answer is worth 1 point for a total possible of 5 points)
18. The Star Spangled Banner was written in _______ by ____________ and contains ______ verses.
19. The first Supreme Court Justice of the United States was ______.
20. _______ won the first election for President of the United States (under the Constitution).
21. _______ won the second election for President of the United States (under the Constitution).
22. Social Security is enumerated as a right in the Bill of Rights. (T/F)
23. The President of the United States is elected by a majority of ________.
24. The ______ Amendment guarantees the right of the people to be free from search and seizure of their persons, houses, papers, and effects.
Grade Scale: How people scored origninally are in ( )
Not quite failing
*based on the 1996 application of these questions to 50 respondants